17th Festival della Castagna 2021
25th September – 24th October 2021
In the southwest of Val Bregaglia, between the villages of Soglio, Bondo and Castasegna, you can find the largest chestnut groves in Europe. Their fruit, the sweet chestnut, has long played an important role as a crisis-proof food in our southern valley of the Swiss Alps. October marks the beginning of the harvest season, which has always been celebrated by the farmers with a good drink of wine and chestnuts roasted on the fire.
The Chestnut Festival continues in this tradition and aims to bring this precious food back to our guests. For four weeks we organise interesting guided tours, delicious tastings and varied walks around the chestnut. There are concerts, readings and lectures. Very much in demand are the introductions to the secrets of the chestnut tart, which our confectioners and pastry chefs reveal. And we celebrate, bigger and smaller parties, to which we invite everyone very warmly.
Some events that will take place during the Chestnut Festival 2021:
- Opening Ceremony, Saturday 25.09.2021
- Caminä e Mangä - culinary walk through the chestnut grove. Sunday 3th and 17.10.2021
- Al dì di brascher - Chestnut Festival, Sunday 10.10.2021
- Visit of the Palazzo Salis in Bondo
- Closing Ceremony, Sunday 24.10.2021
Finally, one more request: The chestnut trees are privately owned, their cultivation takes much time and energy. We kindly ask you not to enter the groves or collect chestnuts. There are designated collection points at Soglio Plazza and Brentan Castasegna. Thank you very much for your understanding.
Areas for the free collection of chestnuts (for own use):
- In Plazza (busline Promontogno-Soglio). Coming from Promontogno, the area is on the left.
- In Brentan, on the trail between Plazza and Castasegna (approx. 1 km from Castasegna)
Map of the areas