Architecture and Wakker Prize 2015
The Swiss Heimatschutz awarded the Municipality of Bergell the 2015 Wakker Prize for identifying the valuable existing building stock and the well-preserved man-made landscape as two important qualities of the municipality.
Here is a selection of buildings:
Soglio, Private garage under the vegetable gardens, seen from the church garden
The access and underground garage fit sustainably into the area occupied by vegetable gardens and gardens. The dry-stone walls have been preserved and the vegetable garden that once stood there has been restored on the roof of the shed.
Soglio, Hotel Palazzo Salis, main square
On the upper border of the village, there are four imposing buildings from the 16th and 17th centuries. One of these is the Baptist House, built around 1628 and enlarged in 1701 to its present size in 1789.
Soglio, transformation and new buildings, Via Lo
In this new construction of Soglio built near the historical garden of Palazzo Salis, both the proportions and the relationship with the environmental context are to be underlined. Dividing the volume built on two artifacts and inserting the laboratory below the garden, the size of the project has not assumed a prevaricating character, but harmoniously completes the upper part of the nucleus. On the other side of the alley, an unused stable has been transformed into a guest house.
Castasegna , Villa Garbald , Main Street
The tower erected in 2004 on the site of Villa Garbald is an excellent example of densification. The new building, which blends harmoniously into the landscape of the place, is the result of a competition held by the Garbald Foundation with the help of the Grison Heimatschutz.
Castasegna, EWZ residential complex, Brentan
The diffuse distribution of the buildings, their compact and contained dimensions, as well as their materials, shapes and colors typical of the 1950s, reflect the characteristics of the metati and barns already present in the forests and blend harmoniously into the chestnut groves.
Bondo, extension of a dwelling house in a barn, Gassa Varlin
The transformations are visible, but discreet: a wood and glass passageway connects the two buildings, new walls shine behind the barn facade and a balcony has created a new outdoor space.
Bondo House Picenoni Cief, Plaza D'zura
The building that today faces the square of Bondo in a relatively homogeneous way is actually the result of centuries of change. The house Cief was born in the thirteenth century as a residential tower, rebuilt together with the most recent stairwell after a devastating fire in 1621, in the second half of the eighteenth century was added to the dwelling a third element.
Bondo, Salis Palace
Between 1766 and 17875, Jerome 2nd Count de Salis, had the Plazzo built according to the plans of the Milanese architect Francesco Croce to make it his summer residence. The building and the garden form a harmonious whole. Inside, the rococo style reigns and outside there is a classic example of Italian garden.
Stampa, Castelmur Palace
In the middle of the 19th century, Giovanni Castelmur transformed a patrician house of culture into the Venetian-Neo-Gothic palace Castelmur, to which a large park was added.
Stampa, School Building, Somarovan
The school of Somarovan stands on the edge of a raised terrace in a central position between the different hamlets of Stampa. In keeping with the local building tradition, Bruno Giacometti used indigenous gneiss for the facade. Equally typical is the pavilion roof covering with slate plates. The new construction added in 2002, while avoiding direct contact with the existing school building, completes the area by creating new outdoor spaces.
Located above the serpentines of the Maloja pass road, it was built in 1906 by Ottavio Ganzoni for Augusto Baldini. Historic building with classicist and gothic motifs; facades in rasa stone with grouting. Inside, wall coverings and the first mural by Augusto Giacometti (The Dream, 1905).
Villa la Rosée
The chalet "La Rosée" was built in 1883 as a vacation residence by the imperial countess Rosinne de la Rosée de Mannheim. Each room in the house has its own character and is furnished with unique pieces, some even "dated". The house and furnishings are almost perfectly preserved in their original state; everywhere the grandeur of the 19th century can be felt.
Camille Maximilien Frédéric, Count of Renesse had the hotel built in Neo-Renaissance style following the designs of Belgian architects Kuoni and Jules Rau. The construction began in 1882 and the hotel opened on 1st July 1884. The E-shaped building had five stories with a central cushion dome roof; curved window heads for the ground and upper floors relieve an overall barracks-like appearance, as does the colourful frieze on a horizontal stringcourse in common with many other Palace hotels at the outbreak of the Great War. It originally had 300 rooms and about 450 beds in addition to 20 public rooms, two enormous dining rooms, and an equally large ballroom with a small stage where two concerts a day were given in the summer months by musicians from the La Scala orchestra.