Back

Vicosoprano

the old capital of the valley

In the past, Vicosoprano was the capital of the valley. Today, it is the largest village of Bregaglia. Surrounded by meadows and forests, the village is located at an altitude of 1087 meters (3566 ft.). 

San Cassiano Church, built in the 1st century, and the Early Baroque St. Trinity Church are both open to visitors. The cobbled streets of Vicosoprano are lined with patrician homes that, in spite of their age, still clearly exhibit the family coat of arms and sgraffito decorations on their facades. There are also interesting inscriptions such as, "There is no man on this earth who does not have a touch of madness".

Near the main plaza with its typical stone fountain, is the "Pretorio", the old town hall and main courthouse, which was built in 1583. By the front gate, under the allegories of justice and temperance is a pillory. From the old town hall rises the round, medieval "Senvelen" Tower. The sight of the torture chamber and torture devices send chills down one's spine. During the 17th century, many alleged witches were caught and held here and more than a few ended up on the gallows. Their stakes still stand at the edge of the village today.Walking through this area, one comes to an arched bridge from which there is a magnificent view of the stunning mountains on both sides of the valley.

City map

Bregaglia Valley - simply authentic

Museum Ciäsa Granda – Stampa

From May 31 to October 19, 2020 (closed tuesdays)

Biennale Bregaglia – Nossa Dona & Lan Müraia

 July 5 – September 27, 2020

Chestnut Festival

26 September to 24 October 2020 Flyer Online enrolment  Events calendar

Sentiero panoramico

One of the most beautiful hiking trails in the canton of Grisons

ARTipasto culturale Bregagliotto

Edition  2020

Subscrive to the Newsletter

Exclusive offers, tips and much more!

Utilizzando il portale accetti il nostro uso dei cookie e trattamento dei dati personali, per una migliore esperienza di navigazione.